Friday, June 3, 2011

Goals

I was recently asked the following question:

What do you think about goals in general?  
Like, the goal to finish a job, or complete a style study.
Osu.
 
This is an adjustment my reply: 

They are a double edged sword.  Goals are both an attachment and something that can lend both pain and joy to an experience.  The best thing about a goal, for most people, is the focus.  It keeps you on a path towards something that will ultimately change your perspective.  The worst thing about a goal is everything else all at once.  The fear of failure, the minor setbacks are always demoralizing, the major setbacks are depressing, the obstacles that come up make you hate yourself and the goal at the same time, and upon success, the result is rarely what you initially thought it might be.  That said, I have a huge goal (building the dojo) and it is terrible in many ways.  Don't get me wrong, it's my #1 priority every moment of every day.  However, I find that while living in Japan I have stumbled across an ideal situation, had I not had such a goal.  I have an awesome girlfriend, a great apartment, cool friends, delicious food at every turn, a satisfying job that pays the bills and still lets me save, the works.  Yet, I will be sacrificing all of it if necessary...such are the pains of goals...

That said, I can't wait to build the dojo.

Osu.

No comments:

Post a Comment